About This Course
This course is designed to provide an overview of the geoscience profession, with specific examples in geophysical applications, and illuminate career paths available to learners with some of these interests, education, and training. We estimate that this course will take around 5 hours to complete. This course is brought to you by SAGE Facility operated by the EarthScope Consortium.
Students are expected to learn the following when they take this course:
- Describe what geoscience is, and more specifically, what geophysics is.
- Identify how the geosciences (including geophysics) are relevant to local communities and society more broadly.
- Analyze geoscience (including geophysics) career options given a set of career aspirations and interests.
- Predict what knowledge and skills are required for pursuing careers in the geosciences (including geophysics).
- Formulate strategies for pursuing unique careers in the geosciences (including geophysics), and if applicable tailor them to learners’ passions, identities, knowledge, and skills.
This is an asynchronous short-course that contains videos, resources for learning more, and a set of questions in each section to help facilitate learning. An asynchronous course is a course that can be done on your own time. Feel free to pause, take a break, and come back to your saved progress to continue with the course. There is no deadline for completion of this course.
Note: For tips on taking this course via the edX mobile app, please visit the edX Learner’s Guide, and read the section on using the edX mobile app for the most up-to-date information.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
Heather Houlton - Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Workforce Development Consultant
Shelley Olds - Instructional Designer, EarthScope Consortium
Frequently Asked Questions
What web browser should I use?
The Open edX platform works best with current versions of Chrome, Firefox or Safari, or with Internet Explorer version 9 and above.
See our list of supported browsers for the most up-to-date information.
How do I take the course using the edX mobile app?
For tips on taking the course via the edX mobile app, please visit the edX Learner’s Guide, and read the section on using the edX mobile app for the most up-to-date information.
Do I have to take this course all at one time to pass it?
No, in fact that's the advantage of offering asynchronous online courses. You can go through the course at your own pace, pause when you wish, save your progress, and resume the course when it’s convenient for you to do so.
Do I have to pay a registration fee for the course?
There is no registration fee for the course. You may view the entire course, and complete all the assessments, assignments, and exams at no cost.
Are Continuing Education Units available for this course?
Not at this time.